Breastfeeding pumps are the devices used to extract milk from lactating mothers. Breast milk is the best source of nutrition for newborns as it contains important antibodies to fight against disease and promotes a healthy weight.
Do I need a breast pump?
Need of breast pumps varies from one mom to other, Being a mom of twins I was most dependable on breast pumps as my babies were premature and were in NICU for almost a month after birth. Some moms who don’t have issues with baby latching can exclusively breastfeed babies with no need for breast pumps. Breast pump are the must need for every new mother.
- who is getting back to work, keep your supply up and have stash in-home freezer
- have twins to feed,
- premature babies in NICU
- Have household chores and family responsibilities.
- Breast becomes overfull and to relieve engorgement.
- when your partner wants to help you with feeding twins.
With so many breastfeeding pump brands in the market with different functions as manual or electric, it’s hard to choose the right ones that are tailored for your body and lifestyle.
The best breast pump should be user-friendly, reliable and cost-effective whether it’s Manual or electrical it should meet all health and industry standards. The one that absolutely suits a mom may not be the right one for others. As breastfeeding pumps are the most rely on things for new moms it becomes very important to invest in the right one that fits your budget and needs.
New Born Essentials:
- Best Baby Play Gyms, Jumpers & Rockers
- Baby Bottle Cleaning accessories
- Baby Feeding bottles in India
- Sipper/Sippy Cups for Babies
With the comprehensive study, we have tried to list down the top few best brands of breast pumps in India 2020 for every new mom.
Best Breastfeeding pumps in India 2020
Luvlap electric breast pump more comfortable expressing position unlike with other pumps you do not have to lean forward during milk expression.
Luvlap has a range of baby products that are growing every day. Luvlap introduces a range of ergonomically designed & easy to use nursing essentials, taking care of every aspect of hygiene, helping new mothers to conveniently breastfeed & sterilize feeding bottles with ease.
Luv lap electric breast pump has 3 operating modes and 9 levels for each mode, based on adjustments for each operating modes which includes massage, simulation, and expression, which makes milk expression easier. Nursing your baby just became more hygienic and convenient.
- Soft Massage Cushions: Large gentle massage cushions stimulate Milk flow.
- It has antibackflow mechanism which sorts leakage issues and prevents milk contamination
- BPA Free
- Stores last usage memory: The memory function automatically saves the pumping level and modes of previous usage session and keeps it for future sessions.
- An Extra Multipurpose Milk Container, a Teat with Cap and a Travel-Friendly Storage Pouch included for expression, feeding and compact storage.
- It has a simple assembly with fewer parts which make Easy cleaning and assembly
- Low noise during usage and comes with 1 year warranty
- Adequate length of silicon tube.
Philips electric breast pump is ideal for mothers who prefer to pump often frequently. The electric breast pump option makes pumping effortless and hassle free of manual pumping. Design is compact which makes it easy to hold and position on the breast. The base unit can be simply be placed at comfortable reach, the tube can be wrapped around the base unit which makes transportation easier for moms.
- More comfortable position for mothers while extracting milk.
- Breast pump comes with soft massage cushion
- Features a gentle stimulation mode and 3 pumping settings
- Natural breast-shaped teat promotes natural latch on similar to the breast.
- Compact lightweight design and easy operation
- Easy cleaning of several parts and dishwasher safe.
- BPA Free
- Note : The product has 2 years guarantee
Syga is one of the good brands in India that provides quality products. If you are looking for budget-friendly manual breast pumps, then this will be the right choice for you.
It comes with the two operation modes that is high suction and medium suction which is adjustable accordingly. This pump is nonbreakable, ultra-light design and soft and hence very easy to carry anywhere.
It comes along with a Nipple and storage gasket which makes feeding and milk storage convenient. Its Ergonomic Handle Feature makes the fast pressing more labor-saving.
Easy to clean and assembly, can be sterilized in boiling water.
- 100% BPA Free
- Manual Breast pump with adjustable suction modes
- Easily sterilizable
- Ergonomic handle
- Ultralight designed and non-breakable
- Manual pumping.
Medela being one of the well-known brands brings the best suitable breast pumps to cater to every mother’s lifestyle and needs. It has both manual and double electric breast pumps with extra features depending on the need of mothers.
The breast pumps are research-based and come with high quality which brings easy and comfortable pumping solutions. It is efficient as it has two-phase expression technology that mimics babies natural nursing rhythm. You can adjust between two phases i.e simulation and expression and set vacuum level. It has a battery option to which makes it portable.
- Comfortable and easy to handle.
- Two-phase technology
- Easy to assemble and clean
- Mimics babies natural nursing rhythm
- Teats are not included in the package
Pigeon a very well known brand in Indian market has various breast pump editions. The basic edition comes with everything you need to quickly and comfortably express. The manual breast pump makes your life ease with saving more time by saving breast milk for your Lil one.
Its suction power is good, easy to assemble and clean, easy adjustability and silent pumping.
- Perfect advanced sealing air cushion
- Completely adjustable pumping
- Adjustable silent pumping
- BPA free
- 2 years warranty
- Two modes of Expressing milk – Stimulation (promoting lactation and stimilating milklet down) and deep expression (imitating slower, deeper and more effective sucking process)
- Suction Force Regulation – Allows for adjusting the suction force to the individual needs of every mother
- Silicone Massaging Pad – Silicone massaging pad ensures milk expression is gentle and delicate
Little’s Comfort Manual Breast Pump provides the ease of adjustable suction, which is amongst the few available even internationally. It has two modes of expressing milk that is the simulation and deep expression. This manual breast pump is specially designed for new mothers for a comfortable grip and great convenience during pumping.
Based on the need of every mother it has option to adjust the suction force. Milk expression becomes more gentle as it comes with a silicon massaging pad.
- Two modes of expressing milk
- SFR(Suction force regulation) Technology Suction mode adjustability.
- Silicon-based massaging pad.
- Ergonomic Design of the Pump
- Mimics child suction
- Easy to assemble and clean.
- Nipple upgrade may not be available
BabyGo Automatic Electric BPA-Free Double Breast Pump comes with Dual Mode i.e stimulate and express mode. Breast pump parts are made from edible food grade silicon ensuring safety for babies.
It has Anti backflow design which avoids spillage of milk and any sort of contamination,It designed keeping in mothers expressing posture hence you don’t have to lean forward which makes expressing easy.
- Safe and hygienic
- BPA Free
- Easy assembling and washing
- small and light easily portable
- Low noise and smooth running
- Automatic shut down
- There are many small parts which make maintenance cumbersome
TRUMOM Electric breastfeeding pump is the most advanced electric pump available in India. It has 5 phase automatic massage simulation mode. Further it has a unique 3 phase expression designed for faster let-down and milk flow. Its unique design mimics a baby natural nursing. The portable pump comes with a rechargeable battery and charging adaptor.
It Starts Massage mode which makes breast tender followed by simulation mode and then Expression which will increase milk flow. The product is light and hence portable.
- Three-phase expression
- BPA Free
- Potable and lightly designed
- 6 Months warranty can be further extended.
- Its convenient pain-free and leak-free.
- Warranty covers manufacturing defect in pump motor only.
Breast pump Buying Guide:
Breast pump is a Mechanical device used by new lactating mothers to express milk for babies. No one likes to deprive the baby of milk which is a very essential source of nutrients for a newborn baby. Some mothers have lactating issues during initial days post-delivery, this can be sorted by repeated pumping and taking healthy and rich food for lactation. Every doctor would first prefer mothers milk over the powdered milk. First preference will be to provide mothers milk to babies, In some cases when Mother is not lactating doctors recommend powdered milk.
However, Breast pump plays a crucial role in a new mother’s life. Choosing among the various available options in the market is troublesome as the one that suits a mom may not be right for others. Based on types of Breast pumps available in the market we will share appropriate details to help you guide in your buying journey and make proper decision to buy the best breast pump suitable for you in India 2020.
Types of Breast Pump:
1.Manual Breast Pump:
Manual Breast pump as the name says extracts milk by pumping manually. If the mother breastfeeds baby most of the times then this can be used as it will be used occasionally. this single pump device can be used to extract only from only one device at a time. It has a different suction capacity based on the mechanism of the pump. Manual breast pump usage may be tiresome to mothers if it has to be regularly used.
It can easily be carried anywhere as it doesn’t require power. It is much cheaper than electric breast pumps.
2. Electric Breast pump:
There are various available options for Electric breast pump in the market. Electric breast pumps usually comes in two types i.e power or battery operated. They are designed to have various levels of expression phases like massage, simulation, and expression which is set inbuilt. They are adjustable as per convenience. As it’s electric its easier to express milk in more quantity and store as and when needed.
Easier for mothers to express milk. These are designed for mothers who exclusively pump milk for babies on a regular basis.
Electric breast pumps have two variants:
- Single Electric Breast Pump: Single electric breast pumps have one single pumping shield which can extract milk from one breast at a time. It is good for mothers who extract twice a day.
- Double Electric Breast Pump: as the name says it has a double pumping shield and hence milk can be extracted from both sides on one go. It’s most suitable for mothers who express milk many times a day or have twins or triplets to feed.
Do’s and Don’ts while purchasing a breast pump
- Buy a breast pump based on your need, if you have to express occasionally you can buy Manual breast pump. If a mother expresses milk daily then you can go for a double electric breast pump.
- Check reviews and operation method before buying the pump.
- Choose the one that is lightweight and portable.
- Check for warranty periods, availability of top-up nipple if you want to buy extra and products you will have to purchase along with the pumping set.
- Some products may or may not come with extra bottles and nipples.
- If you feel that you are low on milk, then keep repeating the pumping process every two hours this will stimulate and increase the milk flow.
- Make sure to wash all the parts of the breast pump and sterilize ( excluding electrical parts) to maintain hygiene.
- Don’t buy breast pumps that have the least information and customer support.
- Don’t waste your money by buying some cheap quality breast pump from the market, mind you this won’t work at all. Better invest more and buy a good one.
- Don’t overfill milk in bottles.
- Milk that has been kept for more than 3 hrs after extracting shouldn’t be used.
- Don’t use the highest level of pumping in electrical pumps suddenly. You can Start from all stages massage, stimulation and then expression.
Advantages of Breastfeeding pumps
- Breast pumps make the expression of milk easier.
- Solves various latching problems faced by new mothers.
- Frequent pumping increases milk flow.
- It gives a big relief from breast engorgement.
- Easier for working moms to get back to work.
- Helps in feeding premature babies in NICU who don’t have sucking capacity.
- It lets any family member feed the baby
Disadvantages of Breastfeeding pumps
- Supply of milk can reduce overtime.
- Improper cleaning of the pump leads to bacterial growth.
- Storage of milk for longer hours decreases its nutritional capacity.
- manual pumping may be tiresome for mothers